How Elderly Waiver Allows Minnesotans To Remain In Their Community & Receive Needed Elder Care
Elderly Waiver is an alternative to nursing homes
The Elderly Waiver program is authorized by a waiver to Minnesota’s Medical Assistance (Medicaid) program. The waiver allows Minnesota to receive federal funds to help pay for home and community based alternatives to nursing facility care. It’s designed to serve people who are 65 years of age and older that require the level of care provided in a nursing facility.
To receive Elderly Waiver, an individual must:
- Be 65 years of age or older;
- Have a long term care consultation screening;
- Require a nursing facility level of care;
- Be able to remain in the community, rather than a nursing facility;
- Choose to remain in the community;
- Be able to receive services in the community that are less than a nursing facility; and
- Be eligible for Medical Assistance.
How to calculate Elderly Waiver eligibility
An applicant can have no more than $3,000 in available assets. The applicant can have any amount of unavailable or excluded assets. If the applicant is married and both spouses are applying for Medical Assistance, the couple may have only $6,000 in available assets.
When calculating income eligibility for the Elderly Waiver program, the same deductions to income as in the Medical Assistance program are used. The Elderly Waiver program provides “extended” services that exceed the amount, duration and scope of the services eligible for Medical Assistance.
What Elderly Waiver services are allowed?
The following is a list of the extended services available through Elderly Waiver:
- Adult Day Care Services
- Adult Day Care Bath
- Adult Foster Care
- Family Foster Care
- Corporate Foster Care
- Assisted Living Services
- Assisted Living Plus Services
- Caregiver Training/Education
- Case Management Services
- Chore Services
- Companion Services
- Environmental Modifications
- Home Delivered Meals
- Home Health Services
- Homemakers Services
- Personal Care Assistant Services
- Residential Care Services
- Respite Care Services
- Supplies and Equipment
- Consumer Directed Community Supports
For more information on the Elderly Waiver program, please contact WL Brown Law Office.
Answer Your Elderly Waiver Question: 612-309-9184
1380 Viewcrest Road Shoreview, MN, 55126 USA